St. Stephen’s Church, fondly referred to by Dubliners as ‘the Pepper Canister’, was the last of a series of Georgian churches built by the Church of Ireland in the early 1800’s. The nickname derives from the shape of the spire, resembling a pepper canister. It was originally conceived as a chapel-of-ease for the parish of St Peter’s, Aungier Street, which was the largest Church of Ireland parish in Dublin. The magnificient pulpit with canopy is made of Italian rosewood. The Altar Frontals are reckoned to be among the most beautiful in the Church of Ireland.